Friday, March 25, 2016

Into Your Hands: Good Friday Reading - Jeff Wiersma

"Then Jesus said, 'Father, I entrust my spirit into your hands!' And with those words, he exhaled - and breathed no more." - Luke 23:46

If death was to be truly defeated, it was only by dying himself that Jesus believed he could defeat it. If God was to reach the hearts of humanity, it was only by suffering his own heart to be broken on our behalf that he believed it could happen.

Maybe you’ve had a similar experience; a time when making the right choice – taking the action that will make things right or bring reconciliation – will cost you in some way?

So it was with Jesus. As he breathes his last, he says, “Father, into your hands I entrust my spirit.”

It’s interesting to note that Jesus didn’t say, “I guess God isn’t listening, I’ll just give up” or “I guess I will die alone here, this was pointless.”

As his body can no longer endure the unbearable pain and despite feeling forsaken by God - indeed, quite a cost to pay - Jesus completed the work of love and surrendered his spirit.

This is where we see a God who loved the world so much that he gave the world himself - freely and completely.

And that act of selfless love made it possible for us to participate in God’s kingdom; where our acts of selfless love can help to bring healing and recovery, can remove blinders, can be good news to the poor and freedom to the oppressed.

God’s kingdom - coming alive on earth as it is in heaven - is where darkness and death are pushed back by light and life.

That’s eternal hope.