Friday, April 4, 2014

Art, Liturgy, and the Future of Music - Michael Gungor in Sojourners

I've rejected the label "Christian musician." Christians are people. Music cannot be Christian or not Christian any more than it can be the color purple or not. Music is music.

I can’t speak for the purpose of other people’s music, but for us we make music to express and open the human heart. Music helps me to more fully experience the transcendence and magic of existence.

I have found that if I make music that first helps me experience something personally, it often has the same effect in others as well. I prefer that to primarily trying to accomplish a “purpose” in someone else.

I've rejected the label "Christian musician." Christians are people. Music cannot be Christian or not Christian any more than it can be the color purple or not. Music is music.

As to my own experience in making the music, I feel I am in a freer place than ever before to explore all of life in our writing. And all of life, to me, is sacred.

I think liturgical space is wide open for artistic experimentation right now. The sheer amount of people that go to a religious gathering every week proves that there is a strong need and desire out there for liturgical work that speaks to the human heart and helps people experience the Divine together.

I think everyone has a spiritual pulse. We just are all at different places in our journeys and we all express our spirituality differently.

The full article is available here