Sunday, April 12, 2020

On Not Getting Used To Social Distancing - Pastor Melissa Florer-Bixler in Christian Century

My spiritual practices have long been communal ones. I love people and their presence.

Christianity produced an earthy and human set of texts by which we set our lives.

My spiritual practices have long been communal ones. I love people and their presence. I love people and their presence. For me, spirituality is to holding space for the celebration and sorrow of people’s lives.

I love the pitch of human laughter and the varying temperatures of palms pressed into mine. I love textures of humanity, the co-journeying of long relationships, and the tone of voices woven together in song.

This year my Lent may last longer. I anticipate that the absence of my communal spiritual practice will continue to widen a space that cannot be adequately filled with virtual access.

Giving attention to the curve and shape of that empty place, being drawn back to longing for the lives that will fulfill it — this will be what I do in this season of COVID-19.

The full article is available here