Friday, March 22, 2019

God's Love Isn't Reckless, It's Thoughtful and Intentional - Andrew Gabriel

God loves us with clear and thoughtful intention.

The chorus of the song in question speaks of the “overwhelming, never-ending, reckless love of God.”

I searched for the meaning of “reckless,” and Google tells me that “reckless” describes someone who acts “without thinking or caring about the consequences of an action.”

I tried the more respectable Merriam-Webster’s Dictionary, and, similarly, it defines reckless as “marked by lack of proper caution: careless of consequences” and even as “irresponsible.”

I don’t think too many Christians would like to say that God is “careless” or that God’s love doesn’t “care about consequences.”  Instead, God loves us with the clear and thoughtful intention “that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life” (John 3:16).

I think the author meant that God’s love is relentless. At my church, we've changed the lyric to "perfect love."

The full article is available here